The Maritime Administration of Antigua and Barbuda; the Department of Marine Services and Merchant Shipping (ADOMS) has a vacancy for a:
Senior Technical Management Position
This role includes appointment as Deputy Director and managing the Technical Division at the Policy level; Development of technical policy and the dissemination of technical advice to customers. There is also a requirement to attend international fora such as the IMO.
Duties and Responsibilities include;
- Oversee the Technical Division at the policy level and assist with formulating and implementing policy within the Administration relating to survey, security, port state control and statutory matters;
- Provide technical assistance to legislative drafting when changes to regulations are required and when international instruments are required to be formally adopted and transposed into national legislation
- Register ships &/or mortgages and maintain the Register of Ships in accordance with national legislation, international procedures and International standards;
- Assist with the development and drafting of technical shipping notices;
- Develop, maintain and improve procedures and regulations for the process of ship registration and seafarers documentation;
- Control and follow up on the implementation of corrective actions in the Registration and Technical Divisions;
- Provide specific expertise in the areas of maritime safety and security;
- Work with other members of staff in furthering the aims and objectives of the Administration;
- Represent the Administration as a delegate, when required, at conferences, seminars and workshops related to Shipping
Qualification and Experience Requirements:
- A Master’s Degree in Management, Business or in a subject related to shipping industry, 10 years work experience at a senior level in a similar organization, or alternately at least 15 years of related senior level experience &/or certification as a Master Mariner, a Chief Engineer or a Naval Architect with experience working as a Marine Surveyor/Ship Inspector with a maritime administration. A proven track record in a senior level management position on a global scale is also required;
- Knowledge of local, regional and international issues impacting maritime matters;
- Knowledge of international maritime legislation, regulations, IMO Conventions and requirements to give full effect to mandatory IMO instruments;
- Knowledge and experience in Registration procedures;
- Knowledge and experience in marine surveying and ship inspection;
- Knowledge of the requirements of the Code of Safety for Caribbean Cargo Ships (CCSS) and Small Commercial Vessel (SCV) codes;
- Computer literacy and knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Office and Visio;
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines;
- Good public relations, interpersonal, management, verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to lead, organize, extract and disseminate information within groups;
- Ability to display integrity and impartiality in all tasks and observe strict confidentially, while exercising discretion and courtesy.
- Good communications skills in English.
The job is offered on a contract basis for a two year term renewable for a further two year term. A key part of the role will be the provision of managing, training and instruction to national staff.
A competitive salary is offered commensurate with experience and skills.
Interested persons are invited to submit a cover letter, resume and professional references to:
Department of Marine Services and Merchant Shipping.
Antigua and Barbuda
PO Box 1394
RE: SENIOR TECHNICAL MANAGEMENT POSITION
Applications by email should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for receipt of applications is 31st August 2013
Interested candidates may obtain a copy of the job description from the Head of Personnel at email@example.com